A blog has several benefits including building your website for SEO, showing your personality, highlighting your expertise, and commenting on timely stories.
Many small business owners are scared to start to blog because they fear a cumbersome process. However, if you have a detailed editorial calendar and set a bit of time blogging will be a breeze.
A few important points to make blogging as easy and beneficial as possible:
- Topic: Select a unique topic that is closely related to your core business areas.
- Title: Make sure your headline is well written with at least one of your keywords and the topic of your blog.
- Have one opening paragraph, three supporting and then a close. You can include a list, video, or instructions for a how-to – but make sure you are clear and specific.
- Length – you want a minimum of 350 words (500 preferred). Some will tell you that you need a minimum of 1,000. Remember, while the longer the better for Google you don’t want to bore your readers!
- Make sure that whatever you are writing about you are solving a problem and relating it to your ideal client. Cite research, client examples, and your own professional experience to reach your audience.
- Do not use industry jargon EXCEPT when you can link a word to a FAQ or glossary page on your website. Your ideal client doesn’t want to hear about your technical expertise, it is all about their problems and how you are the ideal person to solve them.
- Build know, like and trust – this means you need to be authentic, be likeable, show some empathy, display your expertise in a kind and caring manner, and prove to them through your writing you will help them.
- Edit and proof yourself and then have someone else look at it for errors.
- Add in pictures. Every blog post should have a featured image picture so it displays well on social media.
- Take time for the technical SEO stuff.
- Share away. Have a strategy to share the post across your social media channels (but not all on the same day!).
Blogging can really help your SEO and boost your credibility with your ideal clients. Take the time to hit on these key points so when individuals are searching for answers in your core practice areas your content is there to help them.